Our company’s history was built around two friends, Louis Lesaffre and Louis Bonduelle.
It all started in 1853, when the two men partnered up to erect a grain alcohol and Dutch gin plant in Marquette-lez-Lille in the north of France.
Acquisition of the first mill in Marcq-en-Barœul
Ten years after they first partnered, the two Louis purchased a mill in Marcq-en-Barœul, which they converted into a grain alcohol distillery.
From that site grew Société Industrielle Lesaffre, which gradually proved to be the driving force and the main support for the group’s industrial and commercial boom in yeast.